Walking Out on Netflix
I won the Netflix Lottery but I kinda feel like I've been given a booby prize. The "Watch Now" movie selection is pathetic.
I literally paged through ALL the movies available on Netflix's new Watch Now and I've already seen all the movies that are remotely worth watching. You can count those on one hand! Everything else is worse than what you might find in a "previously viewed $1 movie bin" at a VHS Rental Store on the bad side of town! Seriously, these are the type of movies that even the poor lower power UHF channel, no one watches, wouldn't bother showing if they could get the rights to them for free.
Netflix needs to beat the movie companies over their collective heads and get a better selection. If this was their secret weapon to stop people from switching to Blockbuster Online's Total Access or using Apple TV and iTunes instead of Netflix they're toast.
OK, maybe the selection will improve with time but there's still lots of other problems with it.
- There is no What's New link or any way to discover if they've added any new movies to the Watch Now selection. (Probably because they're embarrassed by what they're adding right now!)
- They don't dare give you a way to find out if any of your queued movies are available in Watch Now. (Probably because NO ONE will has any of these on their list!)
- The player doesn't fill the IE Window so you waste a lot of screen real estate if you don't want to watch the movie full screen. (Do we really need to waste an inch with the Movie's name?)
- It only works with Windows/IE and that is so 2004! Haven't they heard everyone wants a Mac or plans on getting one instead of Vista? :wink wink:
- Also why do they even bother with all the DRM checks. There's no way anyone in their right mind would pirate any of these! The quality of the video wouldn't be worth the trouble either.
If my local Blockbuster store is participating in the Total Access program it's definitely "The End" to my Netflix account.
Posted in Movies, TV, & TiVo
by usrbingeek at 2007-01-25 22:12 ET (GMT-5) | 2 Comments | Permalink
Uh, when I go to "Watch Now" one of the prominant things I see is "From Your DVD Queue" (i.e. a list of movies they have available to watch online that are in my queue)...so, maybe there just aren't any such movies for you at this point. I agree that the choices right now are small, but Netflix says they'll be expanding it greatly over the year. I believe them.
blockbuster total access is so much better it is ridiculous, I had netflix for a year and I canceled it and haven't looked back...