Nikon ViewNX Is Out, Isn't It Two Years Too Late?
[Not a Nikon shooter? Move on, nothing to see here except, well...what are you stupid? Buy a Nikon already!]
Nikon has released ViewNX for Mac and Windows and it's really nice and really fast for a free RAW browser. Though I must say it should have been out along with the D200 TWO years ago!
Since it's release earlier in the week I've been putting it through its paces and also using it alongside Nikon's Camera Control Pro for when I've been shooting tethered in the studio. Otherwise I'm still relying mostly on Apple Aperture for rating, organizing, batch processing...nearly all my workflow.
ViewNX is mostly good for previewing and getting rid of duds immediately after download. Otherwise it's uses are very limited and you'll still need Nikon's CaptureNX, Aperture, or other RAW processors.
View NX is a powerful new software application for viewing NEF RAW and JPEG images.
- ViewNX offers the following 3 modes for viewing images:
- " Thumbnail Grid " mode for viewing image thumbnails
- " Image Viewer " mode displays a selected image at a large size
- " Full Screen " mode displays an image full screen
- RAW+JPEG format images recorded simultaneously can be viewed separately, or treated as a single image for simpler management.
- Exposure Compensation, White-balance adjustment, and other adjustments can be performed on multiple images at one time, using "Picture Controls", within the supplied "Picture Control Utility".
- Labels and Ratings can be applied to individual images for simpler classification, management, and display.
- 10 labels are available for image classification. Labels can specify images displayed, images sent as e-mail attachments or printed, or images copied to another folder.
- Images may be rated up to 5 stars to indicate importance or priority. Images within a specified span can be displayed, and also Labels and Ratings recorded use industry standard formats so that they are preserved and recognized in other applications using the same standard.
- Focus area, histogram, highlights, and shadows displays are available.
- A convenient quick zoom feature is available for verifying focus.
- Enter information such as Creator, Origin, Image Title, and Keywords in XMP/IPTC Information for managing images.
- Copies of images are easily created for attachment to e-mail messages.
- Resized copies of images can be saved, and images can be converted and saved in TIFF or JPEG format.
- A third-party software application can be registered for smooth integration with a favorite imaging application.
- ViewNX and Nikon Transfer offer smooth collaboration. Use of these two applications together is convenient and recommended.
Posted in Photography
, Software & Downloads
by usrbingeek at 2007-09-13 17:40 ET (GMT-5) | 0 Comments | Permalink